This Easy Beef stroganoff is a classic dish that is the perfect family recipe for dinners together with those you love. It’s a hearty meal that combines tender beef strips with creamy noodles, and it’s perfect for any occasion.
However, some people may be intimidated by the thought of making this dish from scratch. That’s why we’re here to share an easy beef stroganoff recipe that anyone can make at home!
With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal in no time. So let’s get started!
What is Easy Beef Stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has become popular worldwide. It is made with tender strips of beef, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and sour cream sauce. This comfort food is often served over egg noodles or rice.
The origin of beef stroganoff dates back to the mid-19th century in Russia. The recipe was named after the Stroganov family, who were wealthy merchants and landowners in the country. They had a cook named Charles Briere, who came up with this delicious dish for their dinner parties.
The original version of beef stroganoff was made with thinly sliced beef fillets cooked in mustard and bouillon sauce. Later on, mushrooms and sour cream were added as key ingredients that gave it its signature taste.
Nowadays, there are many variations of beef stroganoff recipes available online. Some people use different cuts of beef like sirloin or flank steak while others add paprika or Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor.
Regardless of how you make it, beef stroganoff remains a comforting and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed by everyone from children to adults. It’s easy to prepare and perfect for busy weeknights when you need something quick but flavorful.
If you haven’t tried this beef stroganoff recipe yet then you’re missing out! Give it a try today and discover why this classic dish has stood the test of time.
For me the addition of beef tips as opposed to ground beef elevates this dish and makes it more hearty. This easy beef stroganoff is often served as the main portion of a meal along with a variety of side dishes.
Ingredients for Easy Beef Stroganoff
While this is a beef stroganoff recipe, other meats are easy to substitute if you do not have beef or do not eat it. I use beef tips for this recipe but ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey would also work in this recipe.
- When it comes to choosing beef for stroganoff there are several options. I prefer to use beef tips pre-cut. I purchase precut beef tips or stew meat for this dish. It is easier to cook, and makes this a heartier dish. I am all about saving time and making this an easy stroganoff requires saving time where I can.
- Canned beef broth and canned cream of mushroom soup add to the ease of this dish.
- Sautéed onions elevate this dish to the next level, and make it taste like you worked harder than you really did.
- I love using fresh vegetables or herbs when possible. This recipe calls for fresh parsley. If you do not have fresh parsley you can substitute with 1/2 tsp of dried parsley.
- I know that most people add sour cream to their beef stroganoff. This recipe does call for sour cream but I have a few other ingredients that I have thrown in to add to the creaminess. I prefer to add cream cheese and a few tablespoons of butter to bring that extra flavor.
- Egg noodles are my preference to top with this easy beef stroganoff. However some people prefer rice. I think you should use whatever you have on hand or whatever your preference is.
How to make easy beef stroganoff
- The beauty of this dish and what also helps to make it an easy stroganoff is that most of it is cooked in one pan. I use a large skillet that has a lid to cook this stroganoff in. For detail on how to make this dish see the recipe bellow. Here is a general over view along with some tips.
- I found this 12 inch Frying Pan with a Lid made by Blue Diamond on Amazon and I am very happy with it. It is non-stick, oven safe, and dishwasher safe. For me and my busy lifestyle those are all attributes that make this my go to skillet for all of my stove top cooking needs.
- Sauté your onion in butter first. I love the taste of caramelized onions, and they are a key component to this dish. By cooking the onion first it adds flavor to the pan and prepares it for cooking the meat.
- Add the garlic salt, pepper, and oil to your meat prior to cooking it. I like to put the beef tips in a ziploc bag, add two tablespoons of oil, and then the garlic salt and pepper. I seal up the bag tight and massage the spices into the meat. Then I place it all into the pan and cook it at medium high heat. This ensures that each piece of meat is covered.
- Once the meat is cooked add the beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, onions, sour cream, butter, and cream cheese.
- Mix all of the ingredients together, reduce the heat, cover and let simmer while the noodles cook.
What to serve with this beef stroganoff dish
The possibilities for side dishes with this dish are endless. Whatever your family favorites are you can serve them alongside this easy beef stroganoff to make it a meal that can feed a large group.
Having garlic bread with this meal is a necessity for me, honestly having it with any meal is a necessity. My easy garlic bread recipe is quick to throw together and full of garlicy flavor. It is the perfect side to this Easy Beef Stroganoff.
I love serving this dish with roasted vegetables like my brussel sprouts with bacon.
The reason this is considered an easy beef stroganoff is because I have cut down on the prep time and use premade ingredients where possible.
However if you have the time and want to add more mushrooms to this dish than come in the cream of mushroom then that is possible. Just use a cup of cut mushrooms and sauté them in butter after the onions have cooked.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best cut of meat for beef stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has become popular all over the world. It is made with sautéed beef strips, mushrooms, onions, and a rich sour cream sauce. But what is the best cut of meat for beef stroganoff? Here are some options:
Tenderloin is considered to be the most tender cut of beef, making it an ideal choice for Beef Stroganoff. It cooks quickly and doesn’t need much time to soften up. Tenderloin creates a tender chop meat stroganoff recipe that melts in your mouth.
Sirloin is another excellent option for beef stroganoff. This cut comes from the rear of the animal and contains less marbling than other cuts like ribeye or chuck roast. However, it still has enough fat content to remain moist during cooking.
Ribeye is known for its rich flavor and marbling, which makes it perfect for grilling or roasting but it can also be used in Beef Stroganoff dishes as well due to its high fat content that helps keep the meat moist and tender.
- Flank Steak
Flank steak may not be as tender as other cuts mentioned above but when cooked properly (seared on high heat then sliced thinly against grain), it can produce deliciously flavorful results in your Beef Stroganoff.
- Chuck Roast
Chuck roast comes from around the shoulder blade area of a cow so it tends to have more connective tissue than other cuts we’ve mentioned above thus requires slow braising or stewing techniques which makes this my least favorite option.
Can I use ground beef to make stroganoff?
While ground beef may not be the traditional choice for stroganoff, it can still be used successfully if properly seasoned and prepared. Keep in mind that a ground meat beef stroganoff will alter the texture of your dish compared to its sliced counterpart.
If you decide to change up the meat options and make a ground beef stroganoff recipe simply brown the hamburger meat in a skillet prior to assembling the rest of the stroganoff recipe.
Can I store or freeze Easy Beef Stroganoff?
Easy beef stroganoff is a delicious and hearty meal that can be prepared in advance for quick and easy meals throughout the week. But what if you have leftovers? Can you store this recipe for beef stroganoff safely?
The answer is yes! You can store easy stroganoff recipe in the refrigerator or freezer for later consumption. Here’s how:
- Allow this beef stroganoff dish to cool down completely before storing it.
- Transfer the leftover beef stroganoff into an airtight container.
- Label the container with the date of preparation.
- Place it in the refrigerator.
Stored properly, leftover beef stroganoff will last up to four days in the fridge.
Freezer storage for this beef stroganoff dish:
- Follow steps 1-3 as above.
- Transfer the labeled container into a freezer-safe bag or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store it flat in your freezer so that it freezes evenly and takes up less space.
Stored properly, frozen beef stroganoff will last up to three months in the freezer.
When reheating your stored beef stroganoff, make sure to heat it thoroughly until piping hot all over before serving.
Other Recipes to Try
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 Skillet with lid
- 1 Large pot for boiling egg noodles
- 1 pound Beef Tips
- 1/2 Diced Onion
- 1 Can Beef Broth
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 8oz. Package Egg Noodles
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- To a skillet add 1 tbsp butter and the diced onions. Cook the onions until the are translucent and remove from heat.
- Take your beef tips, olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper. I place mine into a ziploc bag and seal it well. Massage the spices into the meat coating it evenly. Remove the meat from the ziploc bag and place it into the skillet. Cook the beef tips on medium high heat, stirring occasionally until meat browns and appears to be cooked through.
- To the meat add the beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cream cheese, tablespoon butter, minced garlic, and parsley. Stir together and reduce heat and cover. Let the stroganoff mixture cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Boil the egg noodles while the stroganoff is simmering. Cook until they are soft to bite through. Drain and set on plates or on a serving platter.
- Add the stroganoff mixture to the top of the noodles and serve.