Cheese And Bacon Turnovers
Cheese and bacon lovers, rejoice! If you’re in the mood for a savory and indulgent treat, look no further than cheese and bacon turnovers. These delectable pastries are filled to the brim with gooey cheese and crispy bacon, all encased in a flaky pastry crust. They are easy to make and easy to customize. Add your favorite cheese or condiments. Or add your favorite grilled vegetables. The possibilities are endless.
Whether you enjoy them as an appetizer, snack, or even a main course, these turnovers are sure to satisfy your cravings for both cheese and bacon. So get ready to sink your teeth into this heavenly combination of flavors that will leave you craving more!
What Are Cheese And Bacon Turnovers
Cheese and bacon turnovers are a delicious and satisfying snack or appetizer that combines the irresistible flavors of cheese, crispy bacon, and flaky pastry. These savory pastries are perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party, looking for a quick lunch idea, or simply craving something indulgent.
What makes these turnovers so irresistible is their combination of flavors and textures. The melted cheese adds richness while complementing the smoky saltiness from crispy bacon. The buttery layers of puff pastry provide an incredible crunch that contrasts perfectly with the gooey filling.
And to top it all off they are easy to make and customize to your taste buds. Add your favorite cheese or grilled vegetables and you have a unique cheese and bacon turnover. Make all of these the same or get creative and make them all different, the possibilities are endless.
Equipment Used To Make This Recipe
We all have our favorite kitchen items that we like to use to bake with. I have included some items below that I used to make this recipe. I have also included the Amazon links to make it easier for you to locate them.
- 1 Cookie Sheet Never underestimate the ease that comes with a good baking sheet. They are versatile and can be used for more than just making cookies.
- 1 Pam Cooking Spray or Parchment Paper which I have to say is one of my favorite items to have in my kitchen. The beauty of parchment paper is that it makes clean up a breeze. And it helps to keep food from sticking to the baking sheet.
- 1 Pastry Brush This is a great tool to add butter, sauces, and marinades to food.
- 1 Pastry Cutter Will slice through pastries easily like a small pizza cutter.
Ingredients For Cheese And Bacon Turnovers
- 1 Sheet of Puff Pastry
- 8 Slices Of Bacon
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (be creative here, if you have another favorite type of cheese substitute it for the cheddar cheese).
Egg wash is a culinary technique used in baking and cooking to give a glossy finish. It is also used to enhance color, and add richness to various dishes. It involves applying a mixture of beaten eggs (usually whole eggs or just the egg yolks) onto the surface of pastries, bread, or other baked goods before baking or frying them. The process not only adds an appealing shine but also helps seal and bind ingredients together.
The most common type of egg wash is made by whisking together whole eggs with a small amount of water or milk. This mixture can be further customized by adding salt, sugar, spices, herbs, or even melted butter for additional flavor variations.
For this recipe I chose to let the flavors of the bacon and cheese steel the show. Therefor I stuck to a traditional egg wash recipe.
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
How To Make Cheese And Bacon Turnovers
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fairenheight. Then take the time to prepare the baking sheet by either spraying it with Pam cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper.
Take a small amount of flour and spread it onto the counter or cutting board that you will be using as a work space. This will help to keep the puff pastry dough from sticking to the work surface. I use pre-made store bought puff pastry dough. At this stage open up the package and roll it out onto the counter or cutting board. Using a pastry cutter divide the pastry dough into 8 even squares.
Take the 8 pieces of bacon and gently cook them until they are just cooked through in a frying pan. Keep in mind that they will be cooked again in the oven and you do not want to overcook them.
On each of the squares of pastry dough add a cooked piece of bacon. Lay it down going from one corner to the other on the pastry dough. Add 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the top of the bacon spreading it evenly.
Crack an egg into a small bowl and add a tablespoon of water. Whisk the mixture together to create an egg wash. Fold over one corner of the puff pastry over the top of the cheese. Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon add some of the egg wash to the pastry to make it sticky. Fold the other side of the puff pastry over and connect the two side. Use the pastry brush or the back of a spoon to apply the egg wash to the top of the puff pastry.
Place the completed puff pastry onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Continue this process with all of the ingredients until all of the cheese and bacon turnovers are assembled.
How Long To Cook Bacon And Cheese Turnovers
Place the cookie sheet with the cheese and bacon turnovers into the preheated oven. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until the turnovers are a golden brown in color. Remove the turnovers from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes prior to eating.
Variations Of Cheese And Bacon Turnovers To Try
Cheese and bacon turnovers are a delightful combination of flavors that make for a perfect snack, appetizer, or even a light meal. The flaky pastry filled with gooey cheese and savory bacon is simply irresistible. But what if you want to be more adventurous and see what other variations of cheese and bacon turnovers you can come up with.
Lets explore some exciting variations of cheese and bacon turnovers that you must try.
- Classic Cheese and Bacon Turnover:
Start with the traditional recipe by combining crispy cooked bacon bits with your favorite shredded cheese like cheddar or mozzarella. Fold them into puff pastry squares, bake until golden brown, and enjoy the heavenly taste of this classic combination.
- Jalapeno Popper Turnover:
Add a spicy kick to your turnover by incorporating chopped jalapenos into the filling mixture. Add some cream cheese, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and crispy bacon. The result is an explosion of flavors that will leave your taste buds tingling.
- Mushroom Swiss Bacon Turnover:
For those who love earthy flavors, combine sautéed mushrooms with Swiss cheese and crumbled bacon in your turnover filling. The richness of the Swiss cheese complements the umami notes from the mushrooms perfectly. The result is a gourmet twist on this classic treat.
- Spinach Feta Bacon Turnover:
Looking for something slightly healthier? Incorporate nutrient-packed spinach leaves into your turnover’s filling along with tangy feta cheese and crispy bacon bits. This variation adds freshness to every bite while maintaining all the deliciousness.
- BBQ Chicken Bacon Cheddar Turnover:
Take inspiration from barbecued chicken pizza by adding shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, and chopped green onions.
Cheese And Bacon Turnover Storage
If you’re a fan of cheese and bacon turnovers, you know how delicious they can be. But what happens when you have leftovers? How should you store them to ensure their freshness and flavor are preserved? We’ve got some tips for you on how to properly store your cheese and bacon turnovers.
- Let them cool: Before storing your turnovers, allow them to cool completely at room temperature. This step is crucial as storing hot or warm food can create condensation inside the container, leading to sogginess.
- Choose an airtight container: Look for an airtight container that is suitable for both refrigeration and freezing. Glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids work well for this purpose.
- Refrigeration storage: If you plan on consuming your cheese and bacon turnovers within a few days, refrigerating them is the way to go. Place the cooled turnovers in an airtight container and make sure they are not stacked on top of each other. This is to prevent them from squishing or sticking together.
- Freezing storage: For longer-term storage, freezing your turnovers is ideal. Individually wrap each turnover tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Proper wrapping prevents freezer burn and keeps moisture out.
- Labeling: Don’t forget to label your containers with the date of storage. This allows you to keep track of their freshness when it’s time to consume them.
- Reheating instructions: Include reheating instructions on the label if necessary, especially if someone else might be reheating the turnovers later on. To re-heat place in a microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Cheese And Bacon Turnovers
- 1 Cookie Sheet
- 1 Pam Cooking Spray or Parchment Paper
- 1 Pastry Brush
- 1 Pastry Cutter
- 1 Sheet of Puff Pastry
- 8 Slices Of Bacon
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fairenheight.
- Take a small amount of flour and spread it onto the counter or cutting board that you will be using as a work space. This will help to keep the puff pastry dough from sticking to the work surface.Using pre-made store bought puff pastry dough open up the package and roll it out onto the counter or cutting board.Using a pastry cutter divide the pastry dough into 8 even squares.
- Take the 8 pieces of bacon and gently cook them until they are just cooked through in a frying pan. Keep in mind that they will be cooked again in the oven and you do not want to overcook them.On each of the squares of pastry dough add a cooked piece of bacon. Lay it down going from one corner to the other on the pastry dough.Add 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the top of the bacon spreading it evenly.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and add a tablespoon of water. Whisk the mixture together to create an egg wash. Fold over one corner of the puff pastry over the top of the cheese. Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon add some of the egg wash to the pastry to make it sticky. Fold the other side of the puff pastry over and connect the two side.Use the pastry brush or the back of a spoon to apply the egg wash to the top of the puff pastry.Place the completed puff pastry onto the parchment lined cookie sheet.Continue this process with all of the ingredients until all of the cheese and bacon turnovers are assembled.
- Place the cookie sheet with the cheese and bacon turnovers into the preheated oven.Cook for 18-20 minutes or until the turnovers are a golden brown in color.Remove the turnovers from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes prior to eating.