Air Fryer Hash Browns
Crispy, delicious, and oh so easy to make. This Air Fryer Hash Brown recipe gives you all of the flavor and crunch of a deep fried hash brown without the fat or inconvenience of cooking in oil. If you have ever wondered if you can cook hash browns in the air fryer the answer is yes you can.
If you are a fan of McDonalds hash brown patties, and lets face it who isn’t, then you will love these. This air fryer hash browns recipe is quick, easy, and a lot healthier than cooking hash browns in oil. Not to mention the fact that they are made in the air fryer therefore clean up is a breeze. So read on to discover how to make hash browns in the air fryer.
Can You Fry Hash Browns In An Air Fryer?
Hash browns are a popular breakfast food that are loved by many. They’re crispy, delicious, and can be served with a variety of toppings. However, cooking hash browns can be a bit tricky as they tend to get soggy or burnt in a pan. If you are looking for a quick and easy way to make this breakfast treat try air frying hash browns.
Using an air fryer is an alternative way to cook hash browns without using oil or butter. And the bonus is that it uses less oil and clean up is easier and quicker. But can you really fry hash browns in an air fryer? The answer is yes!
Air-frying is a healthier way to cook your favorite foods as it uses hot air instead of oil to crisp up your food. It’s perfect for people who want to cut down on their fat intake but still enjoy fried food.
Air Fryer Versus Deep Frying
This air fryer hash brown recipe is perfect for the busy or novice cook who needs a quick and easy addition to their breakfast.
When it comes to cooking methods using an air fryer is far more healthy than deep frying. And if you use Air Fryer Liners then the clean up is virtually non existent.
Cooking with oil to deep fry food is not the healthiest option, and it is a messy time consuming clean up. The beauty of an air fryer is the ease of use and the amount of time it saves.
I have become a huge fan of the air fryer as has the rest of my family. If you are like me and on the fence about purchasing an air fryer I want to encourage you to go for it.
I for one do not regret the ease that it has brought to my life.
And I cannot say enough about how much more delicious food cooked in the air fryer tastes. If you want to taste pure heaven then give my air fryer bacon recipe a try. I can attest to the fact that it is the absolute best bacon I have ever had.
If you do not have an air fryer yet then I encourage you to look online on Amazon and read reviews. I purchased the air fryer made by Instapot and I love it.
Using An Air Fryer
If you do not have an air fryer yet then I encourage you to look online on Amazon and read reviews. I purchased the Air Fryer made by Instapot and I love it.
This Air Fryer is the perfect size for a small family of 2-4 people. I am able to air fry 4 pork chops at a time which is perfect for my family of 3 people.
If you are looking for a budget friendly air fryer then check out my blog post on The Best Air Fryers Under $100.
I have also become a huge fan of using Air Fryer Liners. They cover the bottom of the air fryer basket and food is placed directly onto them. When the food cooks it catches the grease and makes clean up a breeze. If you are looking for more ideas check out my blog post on Air Fryer Accessories.
Air Fryer Liners come in two forms
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a frozen hash brown go in the air fryer?
The good news is that you can absolutely put frozen hash browns in your air fryer! In fact, many people prefer to cook their hash browns this way because it allows them to achieve a crispy texture without using too much oil. Plus it is a much quicker method with less clean up especially if you are using a basket liner in the Air Fryer.
I used hash browns straight from the freezer. The time that I have suggested in the recipe below reflects a time for frozen hash browns. If you have some that are thawed then you will need to adjust the time and perhaps not cook them as long.
Do I need to put oil on my hash browns in the air fryer?
When it comes to cooking hash browns in an air fryer, many people wonder if they should use oil or not. So, do you need to put oil on your hash browns in the air fryer?
The short answer is no – you don’t need to use oil when cooking hash browns in an air fryer. In fact, some recipes specifically call for no oil at all.
However, using a small amount of oil can help achieve that golden brown crispiness that many people love about their hash browns. It’s important to note that too much oil can lead to soggy or greasy potatoes, so it’s best to use just enough to lightly coat the potatoes.
Hash browns from the store that are premade already have oil included and do not need oil added. For shredded hash browns I prefer to give them a toss with a tablespoon of Avocado Oil prior to adding them to the basket.
Tips and Tricks
I have learned through trial and error that when it comes to air frying hash browns that there are a few tips and tricks that make the process easier and more streamlined. Give these tips a try the next time you air fry hash browns.
- Spraying the fryer basket is not necessary when using the hash brown patties. When using shredded hash browns I add a tablespoon of oil to them ahead of adding them to the fryer basket. My oil of preference is Avocado Oil as it has a higher smoke point.
- Turn the hash brown patties half way through cooking. By turning them over it allows for more even cooking, and helps the patty to be crispy on both sides.
- Place the hash brown patties in a single layer and do not crowd the basket. If the hash brown patties are not placed in a single layer they will not cook evenly. The purpose of the air fryer is to be a convection oven that circulates warm air around the food it is cooking. If food items are crowded then the air cannot circulate to cook them properly.
What to serve with Air Fryer Hash Browns
Here are some ideas for what to serve with air fryer hash browns:
- Eggs: A classic breakfast combination is eggs and hash browns. Whether you prefer your eggs scrambled, fried, or poached, they go perfectly with crispy hash browns.
- Bacon or sausage: Another favorite breakfast meat to serve alongside hash browns is bacon or sausage. Both add savory flavors that complement the potatoes.
- Toast: Toast makes a great addition to any breakfast plate, especially when served with butter and jam.
- Fresh fruit: If you want something lighter to balance out the richness of the potatoes and meat, fresh fruit like berries or sliced banana make a refreshing side dish.
- Avocado: For those who prefer something more substantial than fruit but still want a healthy option, sliced avocado is an excellent choice to pair with air fryer hash browns.
- Hollandaise sauce: To take your brunch game up a notch, try serving your air fryer hash browns topped with creamy hollandaise sauce and poached eggs for an indulgent treat.
- Coffee or tea: Of course, no breakfast is complete without coffee or tea! Brew up your favorite blend and enjoy it alongside your tasty meal.
Other Air Fryer Recipes To Try
Air Fryer Hash Browns
- 1 Air Fryer
- 4 Frozen Hash Brown Squares
- 1 Non-Stick Cooking Spray to spray the Air Fryer Basket
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Open the Air Fryer and place frozen hash brown squares into the air fryer basket.Cook hash browns at 400 Degrees F for 10-12 minutes, turning them over half way through cooking.Remove from air fryer when done and enjoy.